Centre-du-Québec | Mauricie | Montreal | Northern Quebec
Rotary, Day, Permanent, Full time
JOB SUMMARY :
Under the authority of the Automation Discipline Manager, the automation engineer’s main role is to design, develop, implement and maintain automated systems to improve the efficiency, productivity and safety of industrial operations, in collaboration with external firms.
Design and development :
- Analyze needs and existing processes to determine automation possibilities.
- Design automated solutions using control systems such as distributed control systems (DCS), programmable logic controllers (PLC), PLCs, human-machine interfaces (HMI) and other technologies.
- Develop and program the code needed to control automated machines and equipment.
- Programming :
- Write, test and debug control code for PLCs and other automation components.
- Use automation-specific programming languages such as ladder, structured or C.
- Actively participate in the review of engineering documents required for automation and in risk and operational safety analysis activities (HAZOP, CHAZOP).
- Participate in writing functional descriptions
System integration :
- Integrate different systems and components, such as sensors, actuators, motors, frequency drives, robots, etc., into an overall automated system.
- Ensure communication and synchronization between the various components for smooth operation, and master the various types of communication in automated systems.
- Ensure communication and collaboration with the Information Technology (IT) team
Installation and commissioning
- Install and configure hardware and software on site.
- Simulate and verify the correct operation of the automation and carry out tests to ensure that systems meet specifications.
- Preventive and corrective maintenance :
- Regularly monitor automated systems for potential problems.
- Diagnose and resolve faults and malfunctions, making repairs or adjustments where necessary.
Optimization and continuous improvement :
- Identify opportunities to improve the performance and efficiency of automated systems.
- Propose and implement changes to optimize processes and performance.
- Training :
- Train staff in the use and maintenance of automated systems.
- Write technical documents, user and maintenance manuals.
- DEC in Electrical Engineering – Automation & Control, Instrumentation & Control or BAC in Automated Production Engineering, Software Engineering or any other relevant combination of training/experience;
- Problem-solving oriented to the satisfaction of all stakeholders;
- Autonomy and ability to organize work according to objectives;
- Comprehension of English and French (spoken and written);
- Concern for health and safety;
- Versatility, meticulousness and rigor;